Here is my brother, listening to headphones in our living room in 1980. We always had music in the house – records, tapes, and live jam sessions with Dad solo or playing with friends.
I make mental note of songs that either talk about home or evoke the feeling of home for me. I thought I’d share a few of them with you.
- A Place Called Home by Kim Richey (I adore Kim Richey, my favorite is the album this song is on, Rise)
- This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) by Talking Heads (I can listen to this song for hours on end. It makes me happy and content)
- Accidently Kelly Street by Frente! (I want to go there!)
- Happiness Hotel by The Muppets (The Muppets are intrinsically linked to home for me – we watched the Muppet movies over and over as children)
- Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkle (sentimental and fun)
- Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver (I am a West Virginia girl after all)
- Home by Sheryl Crow (bittersweet – home is sometimes, you know)
- Rainbow Connection by The Dixie Chicks or Kermit the Frog (more Muppet memories…)
- Next Year by Foo Fighters (I went to a movie with (i.e., at the same time as) Dave Grohl once…)
Do you ever create soundtracks or playlists for moods, places, or people? What’s on your “home” playlist?